Gunner H H TELFER 239095 Royal Field Artillery
H H Telfer's medals on his bible
I now have the following basic information, but most importantly I discovered from his medal card his name was Hodgson Harold TELFER!...he was...
- Born 1884, Bellingham, Northumberland. Seems he was known as Harold rather than Hodgson.
- A Butcher by trade from at least the age of 16 according to the 1901 census .
- His father was James TELFER born 1842 and baptised at Birdhope Craig Presbyterian Church, he to was a butcher of Bellingham and Hexham
- Harold [or Hodgson's] mother was probably Eliza Anetta or Johannah nee HODGSON [this would certainly explain Hodgson's unusual forename]. These two are sisters who married at the same time in September 1881, possibly a double wedding. One of them married James, the other married a Roger SMITH. Both these women died within a year of each other - I suspect Hodgsons mother is possibly Johannah, as Hodgsons youngest sister Johanna was born 1889 around the time of death of both these women, so possibly named after her mother who may have died in childbirth or shortly thereafter. The Hodgson sisters were the daughters of William and Elizabeth HODGSON. William according to the 1871 census was a farmer and Innkeeper of the Black Bull Inn at Bellingham.
- Harold married Margaret GOWANS date unknown, although Harold was single at the time of the 1911 census. I have searched up until 1930 for his marriage but haven't found it...i'll have to hunt again, probably easily overlooked.
- His siblings were William Stanley b1882 and Johanna b1889.
- [Hodgson] Harold Telfer died 1967 aged 82 in the Northumberland West district [Vol 1b page 441].
Newspaper clipping of Harold's retirement
So yes, I'm quite pleased with the amount of information I have already. It's a great start! Upon seaching google I happened upon a fellow in Hamilton, New Zealand who is an agricultural journalist and was born in Bellingham just like Harold was! He has given me a few contacts I can persue. What a small world it certainly is :-)